LITTLE RIVER TRADING POST STORE MANAGER
Opening Date: October 18, 2021
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Ft. Belknap (On-Site Position)
Reporting Relationships: General Manager (Chain of Command)
Employment Status: Full Time, Salaried, Exempt
Preference: Native American Preference, FBIC Veteran Preference
We are seeking to fill a full-time Store Manager who is responsible for the day-to-day operations, including managing inventory, employee scheduling, hiring, and training, as well as for ordering and receiving products and supplies. The Store Manager is responsible for creating and meeting budgets, maintaining fuel pumps and fuel supplies, overseeing government and commercial compliance and reporting, along with submitting regular reports to IMDG Executives and the Board of Directors. In addition to basic operations, a manager must ensure that safety protocols are followed by both employees and customers, especially those related to the COVID-19 virus prevention, while also keeping an eye on fuel prices, which fluctuate daily according to the market, and apply those prices to the fuel sold on a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual basis.
The Store Manager’s responsibilities include strategically formulating and implementing the most lucrative business model, including vendor selection, pricing, hours of operation, managing employees, as well as consistently increasing sales, through creative marketing techniques. The Store Manager is also experienced in operating as an independent thought-leader and a confident decision-maker, who can motivate employees to excel to meet individual and team-member expectations, while consistently increasing profits moving forward. The Store Manager will help Little River Trading Post grow and thrive as a point of pride of the Fort Belknap Indian Community (FBIC).
Turning a consistent profit is the ultimate goal of running the Little River Trading Post, while offering healthy food options, convenience items, and fuel to the FBIC, as well as capturing the business of travelers along U.S. Highway 2 and State Highway 66. The incumbent in this position should also have the following skills and abilities for continued success:
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Customer Service Skills: The ability to interact with customers, employees, and vendors to ensure smooth transactions in a friendly and positive manner.
- Leadership Skills: The ability to resolve conflicts and make difficult decisions when necessary while keeping employees motivated and organized.
- Time Management Skills: The capacity for creating schedules and ensuring daily responsibilities are met.
- Basic Financial Management Skills: The ability to develop and successfully follow a budget and make payroll.
- Analytical Prowess: The ability to be a good judge of character is needed for successful hires and in solving problems during work hours.
- Communication Skills: Writing and speaking competency to ensure successful interactions with the public, employees, and vendors.
- Employee Management: Assign duties to employees based on their areas of expertise, to ensure that they make use of their knowledge to render best services in the store. The ability to create a work schedule for staff to follow, seeing to it that they adhere strictly to their shifts and execute disciplinary actions to members of staff who are absent on their shifts and duty posts, to promote seriousness among staff.
- Sales & Marketing: Increase sales by carrying out market surveys, researching consumer needs, to identify products that are high in demand, and make them available in the store to customers who are likely to purchase them.
- Understand Competitive Layout: Visit competing stores to get information relating to products, styles, prices, and services, and implement details of useful findings in the store to improve the quality-of-service delivery
- Pricing Strategy: Observe market prices of goods to ensure that prices of goods sold at the store are not higher compared to what is obtainable outside. The store manager must look for ways to reduce prices of goods, making them lower than those of competitors to attract more customers and with the goal of exceeding other stores in sales.
- Sales Promotions: Ability to increase sales by embarking on sales promotions, showcasing products to customers at good rates to make them aware of all products available, and entice customers to buy more while promotions last. Must also promote sales of new products by outlining their uses and benefits to customers and putting them at discount prices when deemed feasible.
- Customer Management & Complaints: Ability to handle customer complaints and returns in a cordial manner, creating mutual benefits to both the store and customers, as well as collecting and implementing customer suggestions on how to render better services in the store. Answer customers’ questions about products and supervise the loading of purchased products.
- Employee Performance: Prepare workers’ performance report at the end of the evaluation period(s) to assess employee’s performances, identifying areas with low performances to work on.
- Cleanliness: Maintains good hygiene by ensuring that the store is constantly cleaned by workers designated to the task, especially complying with standard COVID-19 virus cleaning requirements.
- Safe Environment: Create a safe atmosphere by implementing safety measures for the protection of workers and customers. Must handle emergencies promptly to prevent loss of lives and properties.
- Other Duties: Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent Communication Skills: Must be able to communicate effectively in writing and verbally to staff, management, and customers.
- Human Relations Skills: Must maintain excellent human relations skills to satisfactorily serve a diverse group of employees and customers, with different backgrounds.
- Conflict Resolution Skills: Must maintain the ability to resolve conflict and know how to manage crisis situations among staff and customers, including resolving quarrels, arguments, and miscommunications when they occur.
- Multitasking Skills: Must have the ability to multi-task and complete several tasks at the same time maintain job efficiency
- Managerial Skills: Must have the ability to manage both people and material resources to operate the store as efficiently and effectively as possible.
- Organizational Skills: Must maintain the organizational skills that will effectively enable employees to carry out their duties efficiently.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Proven experience as a Store Manager or similar executive role with a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- Knowledge of business process and functions (finance, HR, procurement, operations etc.)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills.
- Problem-solving aptitude.
- Applicants must be willing to work opening/closing, weekend, and holiday shifts.
- Travel will be required for Professional Development, conferences, trainings, and meetings as a representative of IMDG.
- Travel to/from IMDG locations required.
- A valid Driver’s License required.
- A U.S. Passport may be required for travel.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift-up to 50 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access various departments of a given location.
- Health, Vision, and Dental Insurance
- Company Paid Life, Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Aflac Large Group Options
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Hardship Assistance
- Education Assistance
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Employee Transit (Hays Location Only)
- Fitness Center (Hays Location Only)
- Referral Program
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IMDG is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and except to the extent required by its Native American Preference Policy and Veteran Preference Policy, IMDG prohibits any discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, citizenship status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, political affiliation, or any other basis protected by applicable law. This applies to all employment decisions, including hiring, promotion, termination, and other matters affecting terms and conditions of employment.
Island Mountain Development Group is a drug-free work environment. Pre-employment drug testing may be required. Applicants must consent to a background check.
Applications may be completed online at www.indeed.com.
or to request application material and submit an application, please contact:
Island Mountain Development Group, Human Resources Department
P.O. Box 470 Hays, Montana 59527 Phone: 406-673-3031 or Fax to: 406-673-3023